[Buddha-l] bibliography

Franz Metcalf franz at mind2mind.net
Tue Nov 11 13:17:44 MST 2008

Fellow denizens,

Professor Prebish's latest survey data came out in a paper he gave at
the International Association of Buddhist Studies conference last
Summer, but I don't know if or how it's headed for publication. Sorry
about that.

Thanks, Gary, for continuing to like my old title, and of course
anything I write is suitable only for beginners. But here's a few good
books you might not have got to yet:

Soren Gordhamer, _Just Say Om!_, Avon, MA: Adams Media Corporation,
2001.
This is a great little handbook on life for teenagers. It covers a
whole slew of issues with great aplomb and humor but also a charming
sincerity deeply grounded in practice.

John Makransky, _Awakening through Love: Unveiling your Deepest
Goodness_, Boston: Wisdom, 2007.
Professor Makransky's (aka Lama John's) book puts Dzogchen practice in
the service of love. He is totally convincing in de-esotericizing this
Tibetan stuff without seeming to undermine its power. I found the book
both moving and challenging.

Bhante Henepola Gunaratana, _Eight Mindful Steps to Happiness_,
Boston: Wisdom, 2001.
Bhante Gunaratana works through the eightfold path, unpacking it with
a kind of graceful simplicity. I haven't read his _Mindfulness in
Plain English_, to which this is a sequel. This book definitely stands
on its own as in introduction to Theravadin practice for laypersons.

Gunaratana's work on the eightfold path reminds me of Robert Aitken
Roshi's work on the paramitas, _The Practice of Perfection_
(Washington: Counterpoint, 1994). But I won't say more about Aitken
because you've already read all his brilliant and poetic oeuvre.

Curious what other folks will recommend,

Franz