[Buddha-l] Remaining in Samsara

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Wed Nov 12 02:11:24 MST 2008

Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko wrote:

> In Nepal, Avalokitesvara is conflated with the Brahman deity
> Matsyendranath.

I think it is likely Matsyendranath was a person who became conflated
with Avalokitesvara. In Tibetan Buddism he is associated with a
tradition of teachings related to Avalokitesvara / Lokeshvara

He is worshipped in elaborate rituals which are
> performed by a priestly caste. Ordination is handed down from father to
> son, with some important positions being sold to the highest bidder from
> within the caste. According to one reporter, the meanings behind the
> rituals have been largely forgotten. However, they continue to be
> performed because they are customary and are considered to bring luck."

The casteism in Newar Buddhism - and only handing down esoteric
teachings from father to son within the Vajracarya caste - allegedly
first arose for self protection at a time when Hindu Kings
oppressed Buddhism in Nepal and these practices have
continued since then.

In much earlier times, these restrictions were apparently not the case.
There are plenty of accounts of Tibetans receiving such esoteric
Buddhist teachings from Newar teachers.

The symbolism of the rituals in Newar Buddhism is pretty well
identical to that in Tibetan Vajrayana Buddhism. In some cases
the Newar rituals are more elaborate than those now used in
Tibetan Buddhism.

- Chris