[Buddha-l] Remaining in Samsara

Dmytro O. Ivakhnenko aavuso at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 02:42:15 MST 2008

Hi Chris,

> This connection is widely known about - IMO much of the Nath tradition
> arose from  Buddhist tantrism not the other way round. The common
> figures are comparitively late in the enumerations of Buddhist teachers
> but near the beginning of the lineages in the Nath Tradition. Also
> places like Kadrinath in Karnatika were obviously once Buddhist but
> later became centres associated with the Nath tradition.

Yes. However I suppose that the Mahasiddha tradition originated from
Shaiva Siddhanta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shaiva_Siddhanta
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Siddhar
The interaction of it with Indian Budhism must have produced both
Bodhisattva Buddhism and Nath tradition.

This was a kind of Hindu reconquista of Buddhist temples.

> While it undoubtedly existed, do you really need to look to an
> Avalokiteshvara cult in what are now Theravada countries for the idea of
> "remaining in Samsara to help others"? Hasn't Theravada Buddhism always
> had the idea of Samyaksambuddha which are distinguished from Arhats?

According to the suttas, Sammasambuddha is one who discovers the Path.
One can't become Sammasambuddha by wish, and Buddha never recommended it.

> Dr. U Rewatta Dhamma a highly respected Burmese monk who lived in the UK
> once told me there are - and always have been - some Theravada monks in
> Burma who take Boddhisattva vows to liberate all beings.

The date and place when Bodhisattva's ideal was introduced in Theravada
can be established by text where it first appears - A Treatise on the
Paaramiis by Acariya Dhammapala, 6th century, Southeastern India.

Dmytro

BTW I wonder whether the Burmese Nat cult is connected with Nath tradition.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nat_(spirit)