[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Thu Nov 13 12:56:48 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/12/2008 2:22:05 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jhubbard at email.smith.edu writes:

>And that, of course, leads to the other interesting problem (which  much
of this cross-conversation politely steps around), and that is that  for
the complete cessation argument to be a reasonable motivation, rebirth
needs to work, and for rebirth to work some sort of disembodied
consciousness must be accepted.<
===
One could make the opposite argument. For the complete cessation argument  to
be a reasonable motivation, one shouldn't have the belief in rebirth.
Buddhism says that our "I" doesn't last from moment to moment which includes  after
rebirth. So, we won't be around after physical death anyway so why  should we
do anything now to improve that life.

Another argument is that if we believe in rebirth we have countless lives  to
get it right. Why bust our hump to get it right today?

jack