[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Sun Nov 16 09:06:17 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/16/2008 4:40:28 A.M. Central Standard Time,
jehms at xs4all.nl writes:

===
> Aristotle carried as far as saying that one could be happy  or unhappy
while
> dead. Happiness depended on a virtuous life.  One had to wait until life
was
> over to determine if one lived a  virtuous life. This weighing of virtue
could
> change after death  because of the effect some of one's actions  while
alive
> might  change.

This is an interesting reading of  Aristotle, which I'm not familiar
with. Can you mention a  source?
===
On Happiness by Aristotle, Book 1. Here are some quotes. "We  are unwilling
to call the living happy because changes may befall them and  because we
believe that happiness haws permanence and is not amenable to  change under any
circumstances." "For it seems that to some extent good and  evil really exist for
a dead man, just as they may exist for a man who lives  without being
conscious of them, for example honors and disgraces, and  generally the successes and
failures of his children and descendents."   Another quote, "Happiness, as we
have said, requires completeness in virtue as  well as a complete lifetime."

Jack