[Buddha-l] The Malaise of Modernity

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Nov 17 15:59:02 MST 2008

On Monday 17 November 2008 13:11:31 Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> I happen to disagree with Richards reading of Taylor.

Do you think I misrepresented what he says, or do you disagree with my
evaluation of his worth? You clearly disagree with my evaluation, but I'm not
sure whether you think I have misrepresented his views in The Malaise of
Modernity.

> The bottom of the
> line is he wants to defend the modernist views of the Catholic church
> against postmodernism and therefore he tries make grounds for a
> revisited modernism.

Yes, Taylor makes the point in various ways that no one should celebrate the
demise of modernity. He says modernity is untenable, but he finds nothing to
rejoice about in its untenability, and he thinks postmodernism is a complete
disaster. His Catholic influence shows in his favoring a communitarian ethic
over individualism. He does not hold Catholic authoritarianism or dogmatism
in high esteem, but he does think that the Catholic emphasis on the
individual's value consisting in potential and actual contributions to the
human community is preferable to the Protestant emphasis on each individual's
being inherently valuable because of a relationship with God. I tend to agree
with him on all these issues. Incidentally, I think his positions are quite
consistent with Buddhism as I understand it. Perhaps that's why I value him
highly; I value Buddhism highly and find him to be quite Buddhist in tone if
not at all in terminology.

> For me reading him was a waste of time, but if you really want a
> tast you should read 'Sources of the self'.

Sources of the Self is a long, detailed and rather difficult book written for
philosophers, whereas Malaise of Modernity is a short and accessible book
written for the general public. I would recommend reading his more accessible
book first and then diving into Sources of the Self for a much more
substantial read.

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy