[Buddha-l] buddhism and brain studies

Jackhat1 at aol.com Jackhat1 at aol.com
Tue Nov 18 10:24:12 MST 2008

In a message dated 11/17/2008 12:56:10 P.M. Central Standard Time,
jhubbard at email.smith.edu writes:

>>Of course recognizing problems is the first step to solving  them. So I
would suggest that sitting in a chair (if you must sit) would  be kinda
an obvious solution to the minor problem, but I don't see much of  a
connection between solving lots of minor problems and being able to
handle the really big ones, at least in terms of  "training."<<
====
A short answer is that during my daily meditation practice, I encounter
minor problems and practice letting them be without letting them bother me.  Over
time I have gotten better at dealing with bigger problems by using the  same
technique.
===================
[snip]
>>Well, unless the  low-grade annoyances really drive you nuts, I would
suggest that replacing  the occasional annoyance at the grocery store
with a huge meditation  practice schedule is a bit overkill. This
is just anecdotal but I don't know too many people who get too overly
bothered by the sorts of things you mention.<<
====
I think most people get upset over little things like  that. And, in a day
there are lots of little instances like that that add  up to someone who goes
through life not feeling at ease..

=
>>Returning to the set-point
theory, even the big disasters  that befall folks usually don't make 'em
crazy. I mean-- haven't you known  innumerable people that have lost a
loved one or gotten terminally ill yet  came back and continued on? Among
my family and friends, birth, old age,  and sickness is an entirely
normal sequence, and only the idiot would  think that either a) they
should get upset (suffer) about it,  <<
===
I must know a lot of idiots because most people I know get upset over the
pains of old age and sickness let alone people who have lost a loved one of
gotten terminally ill.

and b) only a bigger idiot would
think that they could beat the  rap. . . if you are born, the sentence is
old age, sickness, and death.  Live with it :)
=====
I think one of the points of Buddhist practice is exactly that, living  with
it, finding a peace with it.

jack