[Buddha-l] Pramana terms

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Thu Nov 27 21:15:45 MST 2008

Dear Richard, Dan or anyone who knows Dharmakirti,

I often come across this sort of note in reference works on Dharmakirti:

Dharmakirti also introduced a threefold distinction of valid middle
terms: the middle (hetu) must be related to the major premises either
by iden­tity ("This is a tree because it is a bodhi"), or as cause and
effect ("This is fiery because it is smoky"), or the middle is a
non-perception from which the absence of the major could be inferred.

Are the two examples correct?
What about the third example where "the middle is a non-perception
from which the
absence of the major could be inferred". Could you give me an example?

Thanks,

Piya Tan

--
The Minding Centre