[Buddha-l] Buddhist ethics and genetic engineering

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Fri Nov 28 09:55:20 MST 2008

I don't know. There is a considerable range of opinion about etics and
science both when it comes to genetic research. Usually the inserted
gene has no measurable effect on the new organism other than the one
feature being studied or manipulated. For example, the spider gene in
one strain of goats makes it possible to make an incredibly strong
fiber from goat's milk and does very little else. And what are the
ethical manifestations of developing a food grain that can thrive in
brackish water to the starving people of Bangladesh or India? And what
is the sense of the furor over insect resistant corn in Mexico? All
corn is highly hybridized for centuries. All that has really changed
in this case is the speed of the hybridization. And genes don't pass
through the digestive tract into the ingesting organism at all well.

It is certainly possible to create monsters, and the monster are
likely to suffer, and this raises ethical an scientific questions. But
I have a difficult time becoming hysterical over genetic manipulation
ans study in and of itself. Of course I am also pro-nuclear power,
having worked on nuclear waste management (which, by the way, is  not
difficult to achieve at the present time) for most of my life.

You mustn't trust my opinion. I am a scientific humanist and voted for
Obama.