[Buddha-l] Sabba Sutta

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 28 13:58:39 MST 2008

In case anyone is interested David Montalvo has written a lovely paper on Buddhist Empiricism. He explains that he is not a Positivist or an Empiricist, but he is able to present those views, citing the main proponents (Hume, Locke, Ayer and others) in an easily digestible manner. He shows that Buddhism completely fails to meet the kind of criteria that Empiricism would demand, without rubbing it in, or repeating himself too much. He mainly focuses on the earlier Kalupahana work I mentioned, but does include the later one. He also goes beyond both to other manifestations of the same idea. It's a well written and quite comprehensive article - exemplary in many ways. I do like to celebrate good academic writing as it is so rare!

Montalvo, David. 1999. The Buddhist empiricism thesis : an extensive critique. Asian Philosophy. 9(1) 51:70.

Best wishes
Jayarava