[Buddha-l] Buddhist ethics and genetic engineering

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Fri Nov 28 17:59:30 MST 2008

Dear Jim,

> I don't know. There is a considerable range of opinion about etics and
> science both when it comes to genetic research. Usually the inserted
> gene has no measurable effect on the new organism other than the one
> feature being studied or manipulated. For example, the spider gene in
> one strain of goats makes it possible to make an incredibly strong
> fiber from goat's milk and does very little else. And what are the
> ethical manifestations of developing a food grain that can thrive in
> brackish water to the starving people of Bangladesh or India? And what
> is the sense of the furor over insect resistant corn in Mexico?

I was told that some of the seeds developed by Monsanto are engineered
to be resistant to their weed-killer (Roundup), so that it can be
sprayed safely and in large amounts (as far as the crop is concerned)
while destroying everything else (one of my brothers is a farmer and
he uses it). Unfortunately, recent studies found that Roundup isn't
anywhere near as innocuous as it was meant to be and that it can
accumulate to dangerous levels (don't ask for references. Maybe I read
it in Scientific American, maybe in the New Scientist, maybe
elsewhere. I can't remember).

Another problem with Monsanto's GM crop is its Terminator technology,
meaning that seeds which are so modified cannot be used for planting
new crop. If I remember correctly, it makes financial sense to use
Monsanto seeds for large farms but not for small farmers, who are
better off using a small part of their crop as next-years seeds.
Unfortunately, in some parts of the world Monsanto seeds are all
farmers can find, so, as often, small independent farmers are in
trouble. A third problem is that the companies patenting GM technology
have successfully sued people who unknowingly used seeds contaminated
with pollen from GM plants, in what can only be described as a greedy
abuse of the law.

In other words, the technology has great potential, for good *and* for
bad. If left in the hands of corporations whose duty it is to maximize
profit for shareholders, we can reasonably expect that a lot of people
and the environment will be negatively affected.

> I have a difficult time becoming hysterical over genetic manipulation
> as study in and of itself.

I agree.

> You mustn't trust my opinion. I am a scientific humanist and voted for
> Obama.

And you be careful not to trust mine. I am a scientific humanist who,
not being US citizen, couldn't vote for Obama.

Best,

Alberto Todeschini