[Buddha-l] ?????

Kate Marshall marshallarts at bigpond.com
Fri Oct 10 01:02:59 MDT 2008

> >.... I had supposed that Aussies were proud of their criminal
> >heritage....
>
> Those that are descended from them are. Especially the "First Fleeters."
>
> For the rest of us, or at least me, we aren't proud or ashamed.  It's just
> the way things happened.
______

Just to give a clearer picture of what most Aussies think of their convict
and crim. heritage, in the 1970s it was decided that Australia should have
its own National Anthem to replace 'God Save the Queen'. The two main
suggestions were 'Advance Australia Fair', a particularly boring,
pretentious, unloved patriotic song always fostered onto primary school
children to sing, and 'Waltzing Matilda', a much loved iconic Australian
song about a swagman who commits suicide rather than face punishment for
stealing a sheep.

Much as Australians like Waltzing Matilda, most (including myself) decided
that it didn't really represent how we wished to be portrayed as a nation
and voted for 'Advance Australia Fair', and have mumbled our way through our
National Anthem ever since.