[Buddha-l] Perhaps the Buddhists in Korea have

Michael J. Wilson michaeljameswilson at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 23 11:16:36 MDT 2008

Temple Stays in Korean sounds popular and if I was in Korea again I would like to do this too.  I will put in some links to it.  There are other must visit Buddhist places in Korea like Kyongju, which was the buddhist centre of a flourishing buddhist civilization during the Silla period.  And there is of course Heinsa temple, home of the Korea Tripitaka wood block prints.

I would contact Lotus Lantern Society.  They offer temple stays - a good introduction.  They also have many books in English on Korean Son buddhism (for free):
http://www.lotuslantern.net/

The two Son temples near where I lived are in Mungkyong County are DaeSon Sa and BeomeoSa:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jogye_Order
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beomeosa

You can't stay there to meditate unless you are a monk.  Songgwangsa has accepted foreign medtitators in the past:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Songgwangsa

I also recommend going to Seoul and visiting the International Zen Center:
http://www.seoulzen.org/information.html
They also do retreats and you can find all the information you need here, in English.

Lonely Planet travel book has good basic information on Korea and temples to visit.

Good luck

Michael

Hi Lidewij,
  You might also check out the Seoul Dharma Group http://seouldharmagroup.ning.com/   for information about Buddhist activities in English in the Seoul area. Also, a lot of people really enjoy the Temple Stay program. I think they have their own website, and you can also find out information about this at Chogye Temple in Seoul.

Take care,
Chong Go