[Buddha-l] A question for Jewish Buddhists

Richard P. Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Thu Oct 23 13:40:16 MDT 2008

In my advanced undergraduate course on Buddhist philosophy in India we have
been discussing dependent origination from a bewildering variety of
perspectives. One of the readings we have looked at was from David
Kalupahana's book "Causality". In that book (p. 131) Kalupahana makes the
observation that in the Buddhist view of moral responsibility, "the effect of
a deed is not determined solely by the deed itself but also by the nature of
the person who commits the deed." So, he goes on to say, if a great man
commits an unskilful act, the effect is less serious than if a scoundrel
commits the same act. He cites the example of a pinch of salt thrown into a
small cup of water as opposed to a pinch of salt thrown into the Ganges.

A Jewish woman in my class observed that in Judaism the exact opposite is
said. She reports that in Jewish thought, the greater a person, the more
damage is done by an indiscretion that the person commits. (This seems right
to me. I have always found the Buddhist doctrine counterintuitive, which is a
polite way o saying just plain wrong.)

So here's the question that the Jewish woman asked me and that I cannot
answer: When Jewish people take up Buddhism, do they experience a conflict
over this teaching about the relative seriousness of an indiscretion
depending on the overall character of the person being indiscreet? (I know, I
know, once cannot generalize. I am aware that if you ask a question of two
Jews you will get at least three opinions and all that. But humor me on this
one.)

--
Richard P. Hayes
Department of Philosophy