[Buddha-l] Acting on emptiness

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Thu Oct 23 14:05:57 MDT 2008

Richard Hayes schreef:
> As I understand it, the issue is that what a Sarvāstivādin claims to be
> ultimate truth (namely, that persons have no intrinsic nature, because a
> person is simply a concept imposed on dharmas that do have intrinsic
> natures) still counts only as a conventional truth from a Madhyamaka
> perspective. Garfield's claim, as I understand it, is that the
> ābhidharmikas claims are not truths even conventionally according to
> Madhyamakas. The claims of abhidharma are false, since they involve
> claims about svabhāvas.

An argument that pleads against this assumption is that the madhyamakas
accept all four of the traditional pramāṇas. I cannot see how they could
do this without recognising a kind of abhidharma as a conventional
truth, because it's founded on tradition and reasoning.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950