[Buddha-l] Acting on emptiness

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Fri Oct 24 10:07:01 MDT 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-23 at 22:05 +0200, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> An argument that pleads against this assumption is that the madhyamakas
> accept all four of the traditional pramāṇas. I cannot see how they could
> do this without recognising a kind of abhidharma as a conventional
> truth, because it's founded on tradition and reasoning.

Many false and dubious claims are based on reasoning. If one's reasoning
is bad enough, one can arrive at just about any conclusion. I think the
claim that abhidharma fails to be true even conventionally is based on
the assumption that the reasoning of abhidharma is faulty, especially
the reasoning that leads to the demonstrably false conclusion that
dharmas have intrinsic natures.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy