[Buddha-l] Be good for Godsake

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Sat Apr 4 21:14:36 MDT 2009

Alberto confessed to having watched Bill Maher's Religulous. And then he
observed:

> The relief will be only momentary because after you have finished
> watching it you'll probably want to move to another planet even more
> than before.

I haven't seen this particular Maher piece, but in general I find Maher
very tedious. I'm probably becoming a prude in my old age, but I really
find gratuitous swearing tiresome. In what I've seen, Maher can't get to
the verb of a sentence without tossing in several pointless adverbs that
he seems to think make him look very hip and cool. When seeking
intelligent critiques of religion, I'll stick to Hume and Nietzsche.

Every night I look at the sky in the direction of my home planet and
wonder when the ship is coming back to pick me up. Am I being punished
for something I did or said there?

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy