[Buddha-l] Be good for Godsake

Alberto Todeschini at8u at virginia.edu
Sun Apr 5 13:02:24 MDT 2009

Dear Richard,

> I haven't seen this particular Maher piece, but in general I find Maher
> very tedious. I'm probably becoming a prude in my old age, but I really
> find gratuitous swearing tiresome. In what I've seen, Maher can't get to
> the verb of a sentence without tossing in several pointless adverbs that
> he seems to think make him look very hip and cool.

I've since looked him up on Wikipedia, the ultimate arbiter of
everything worth knowing. Maher seems to be a peculiar fellow. Judging
by the movie I'm not surprised that he gets tedious quickly.

> When seeking
> intelligent critiques of religion, I'll stick to Hume and Nietzsche.

Sounds reasonable. The interesting bits of Maher's movie aren't really
the bits when he's doing the talking but the replies that he gets from
the colorful people he meets. Some of them seem genuinely caring and
well-meaning but I'm sure I disagree with about 99.92% of what they
think. Other seem to simply be charlatans who swindle believers out of
millions. Also, there are a number of highly intelligent people in the
movie, such as Reginal Foster (Pope's principal Latinist) and George
Coyne (former director of the Vatican Observatory). Foster in particular
is very refreshing, but I wonder if he still has his job after what he
said on camera.

To his credit, most of the time Maher isn't too confrontational or rude.
Also, quite frequently the target of his jokes is himself.

And Joanna,

"I was being ironic --guess irony doesn't come across in email. I
haven't seen the film yet but certainly intend to, even if I have
to wait to get it on Netflix."

Sorry, I missed the irony completely.

Some of the most bizzarre parts are the interviews that are included in
the DVD but didn't make it in the actual
movie/comedy/documentary/whatever it is. For instance, one guy knows of
several eye-witness reports that G. Bush senior is a shape-shifting
reptilian. You can probably find his books about the reptilian
conspiracy, which also includes the British royal family, Tony Blair and
others. There are also more sinister or downright frightening people
there, like the interviewee who thinks it's good to shoot people to
prevent abortion.

If you do see it, let us/me know what you think.

Best,

Alberto