[Buddha-l] Maher as philosopher

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Tue Apr 7 10:52:54 MDT 2009

I have always thought of Maher as one of the better stand-up comics
(although I understand his present TV show is a sit down, round-table,
kind of like Howdy-doody's Meet the Press on NBC on Sunday). I
wouldn't mistake him for a serious documentary creator, nor as a
religious philosopher, nor anyone who should be held to remembering to
be sure to ask a crack-pot from every known religion to say or do
something stupid for his movie (which, though I didn't see it) I bet
was done more for comic effect than for theology or academic accuracy
and completeness. And, since I grew up amongst kinda rough cowboys,
miners, and lumberers I got used to a certain roughness of language,
used mostly for emphasis (like pointing your finger), which was
expanded considerably by several years in the civil rights movement,
so that I am not offended by mere profanity, obscenity, nor sacrilege.
It takes hate-speech (which I have also heard a considerable amount
of) to piss me off.

It sounds like I would probably enjoy this "documentary". As long as
it only makes fun of a reasonable selection of religious nonsense, I
am cool with it. Sorry -- I'm kinda unsophisticated that way.