[Buddha-l] Hinayanaists unite (?) and Kashyapa question

Mitchell Ginsberg jinavamsa at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 15 13:04:14 MDT 2009

Hello all,

.... in part, responding to today's buddha-l Digest, Vol 50, Issue 15 ...

I am surprised that someone calls himself a Hinayanist, as it seemed up until
now quite a straw-man position that no one ever held. It is clearly as we know
an insult term. It does not mean smaller in a neutral sense (culayana?) but
abandoned, inferior, etc. So why take on such a label? Contrarian instincts?

That said, I have been trying to track down the story of Kashyana (Pali,
Kassapa) coming to enlightenment/awakening by being shown a flower,
in a famous story.

I see it quite at odds with the Theravadan understanding on when Kassapa
aka Mahakassapa/Mahakashyapa came to be a stream-entrant and came
to be an arahat (the latter related to his mother's admonitions??? hehehe).

The furthest back I have been able to track the flower-holding story down
is to a little work said to be by Bodhidharma (in Chinese), Xuemailun, where
Kashyapa is mentioned as the only one to "get it." As for the explicit story
itself, I find it in two texts of the eleventh century CE (1000s), and then in
later works...

Questions for anyone:
1. Are there any Indic sources for this story (and if so from what age/time)?
2. What is the earliest recounting of this flower-demonstration teaching (in
Chinese, or another language)?

Thank you, everyone.

Mitchell G.

Homepage (updated 6 April 09): http://www.geocities.com/jinavamsa