[Buddha-l] Buddhism as a 'Selfish' Religion

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Tue Feb 3 13:19:35 MST 2009

Warner Belanger schreef:
> Denizens!
> Does anyone have any suggestions to advance the discussion either to
> disprove or agree with the statement that the goal of nirvana in Buddhism is
> inherently selfish?
>
> I realize this is an old discussion after looking at Almond's "The British
> Discovery of Buddhism", but fresh takes on it would be welcome, besides
> pointing out that the doctrine of anatman negates in someway the idea of
> 'selfishness'.
>
> The suggestions can be as technical or popular as you like. I have a feeling
> this might be a reoccurring question in my Intro classes.
>
> Thanks in advance,
> Warner

Hi Warner,

to me this is just a confusion of concepts. Selfish means only caring
for your own interest. No selfish person can reach nirvANa, one has to
become unselfish and that is the best way to help other people. If you
accept that Buddhism is (partly, largely) a virtue ethics, than taking
care of yourself is the best you can do. This is not selfish at all. The
Buddhist practice, like the one of Socrates, Stoics, Epicureans etc.
consists foremost in perfecting yourself untill you become an inspiring
beacon to others. While doing this you become less and less selfish and
sensitive to the suffering of others. In this way you become a caring
person, helping others without any second thought.
Why not start helping people right away and not waste time with
meditation? Well, if you do that, you may cure some symptoms of samsAra,
but not the root of suffering. This is what Christians do because they
think that taking care of the causes of suffering is a job for God.

--

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950