[Buddha-l] A tribute to Ven. Sheng-yen

Ben C Diez bencd at baolin.org
Fri Feb 6 08:03:38 MST 2009

On Friday, February 6, 2009, 15:30, Curt wrote,

> Benito  has  given  us  half  the  story  -  but I am
> personally  curious  what the other half is (that is,
> what he is now since he is no longer a Buddhist).

   I  have found that Buddhism is an unsatisfactory way
from my point of view, so I have come to Benism.

   Benism  is  a kind of theistic and marriage-centered
Zen, which emphasizes modesty, empathy and justice.

   For instance, what Buddhists call "dukkha" I explain
as  a  "call"  from  our  divine  self, which manifests
itself   as   sexual  anxiety  in  physical  dimension,
loneliness  in the affective one and meaningless in the
mental one.

   Of  course, becoming one with our other half is what
we are supposed to do.

         "Enjoy life with the wife whom thou lovest all
      the days of the life of thy vanity, which He hath
      given  thee  under  the  sun, all the days of thy
      vanity;  for  that is thy portion in life, and in
      thy  labour wherein thou labourest under the sun"
      (Ecclesiastes 9:9).

   I have been greatly inspired by a Issa's haiku:

      plum blossoms open
      blush warblers sing, and yet
      I am alone

   Best wishes,