[Buddha-l] Darwin's 200th centennial

Jim Peavler jmp at peavler.org
Sun Feb 15 09:23:15 MST 2009

Precursors of Darwin are, I think, non-existent since Darwinism
consists of the idea that speciation is caused by natural selection.
The idea that living things might "evolve" out of earlier forms can be
mildly suggested by lots and lots of precursors, but until they are
verified by tons and tons of individual facts (which Darwin provides)
don't mean much. Hell, it would be possible to make a case that the
very idea of kharma is a precursor of evolution because of the notion
of all effects grow out of causes. It is probably easier to defend
kharma from the Intelligent Design people than it is to defend
evolution because it is not possible to just create something out of
nothing.

The very silliest "precursor search" I ever heard of was the study
group my secretary in Idaho belonged to (and I visited) in which we
were reading the most popular works of Plato (Phaedo included) looking
for the evidence that he was proto-Mormon. We weren't looking to see
if there was evidence -- we were looking to find the evidence that was
certainly there.

You can be discovered to have presursed damn near anything in either
myth or prophecy.