[Buddha-l] Sangharakshita's memoir

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Thu Feb 19 21:03:06 MST 2009

At 08:48 PM 2/19/2009, you wrote:
>Pure enjoyment, reading Sangharakshita's memoir, SANGHARAKSHITA.
IN THE
>SIGN OF THE GOLDEN WHEEL. INDIAN MEMOIRS OF AN ENGLISH BUDDHIST.
>  It's a great read.

Bruce wrote:
He writes really well, but given the demonstrated problematics of
his accounting of his story I would have a hard taking whatever
he says at face value. http://www.ex-cult.org/fwbo/fwbofiles.htm

His opening chapters of his SURVEY are brilliant and enjoyable to
read. I still occasionally refer to them. The only Buddhist whose
writing is better is Conze.
===============
And he mentions getting an article from Conze for a Vaisakha
Purnima issue of the journal. And the painter Roerich was living
in Kalimpong too--another eccentric, interesting westerner
oriented toward Buddhism.
I must get the Survey next. Not so easy to find a cleric, any
kind of, writing so well.
Thanks for the link, of course I'll check it out but not now,
don't want to spoil the atmosphere of early independence India.
Anyone know if copies of the Maha Bodhi Journal have been
digitised and are online? (So much to read, so little time. )

Joanna