[Buddha-l] Akālika Forum

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Feb 21 16:23:37 MST 2009

Well, I dunno. Westerners (and human beings in general) are always very
quick to not only absolve ourselves for all our past sins - but to
insist that everyone else also forgive us just as soon as we promise to
be good from now.

Personally I tend to agree with Taigen Dan Leighton, who wrote the
following in a book just published in December:

"In the modern Western appropriation of Zen Buddhism, Zen often has been
viewed as an intriguing but abstract philosophical doctrine, or as a
spiritual exercise designed to achieve higher states of personal
consciousness or a therapeutic calm. However, the Zen tradition in East
Asia developed as a branch of Mahayana bodhisattva teachings, dedicated
to universal liberation. As a religion with soteriological aims, Zen is
based on and grew out of a Buddhist worldview far apart from the
currently prevalent preconceptions of a world formed of Newtonian
objectifications. This objective worldview still clouds our attitudes
toward many realms, including the study of religion, even though it has
now been discredited by new cutting-edge physics. Contrary to present
[Western] conventions, Zen Buddhism developed and cannot be fully
understood outside of a worldview that sees reality itself as a vital,
ephemeral agent of awareness and healing."

Although I strongly agree with gist of the above, Leighton is wrong to
drag Newton down like that - good Hermeticist that he was. And he is
also just as wrong to invoke "cutting-edge physics" (e should leave that
kind of boneheaded new-age scientifical mystification to Ken Wilber and
his ilk).

Curt Steinmetz

P.S. Here's a link to Leighton's book, "Visions of Awakening Space and
Time: Dogen and the Lotus Sutra":
http://tinyurl.com/c29wne

Franz Metcalf wrote