[Buddha-l] Aka-lika Forum

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Feb 21 18:48:05 MST 2009

This latest book of Taigen's really does look like quite a gem. Here are
some excerpts from his "paraphrase" (his word) of the "pivotal story"
(his words) of chapters 15 and 16 of the Lotus Sutra:

"A group of bodhisattvas have been visiting from a distant world system
in order to hear Sakyamuni preach the Lotus Sutra.... [T]hey ask the
Buddha if he would like them to return in the future to maintain the
Lotus Sutra teaching.... As soon as the visiting bodhisattvas make their
offer, Sakyamuni declares their help unnecessary, whereupon, 'from out
of the open space under the ground' simultaneously spring forth vast
numbers of experienced, dedicated bodhisattvas.... Sakyamuni declares
that for countless ages all of these numerous bodhisattvas have been
diligently practicing under the ground, have been present to help and
aid and awaken suffering beings, and will continue their beneficial
practice and promulgation of the teaching even through the future evil
age....

"Sakyamuni declares that he himself has trained all these underground
bodhisattvas.... This ... leads to the climactic teaching of the whole
[Lotus] Sutra, the revelation in chapter 16 by Sakyamuni Buddha that he
only seems to be born, awaken, and pass away as a teaching expedient. He
declares that, in actuality, he has been awakened and practicing through
an inconceivably long life span, and for many ages past and future is
present to awaken beings."

A little later, Leighton says this:

"This complex story of the underground bodhisattvas and the Buddha's
inconceivable life span expresses the vastness and the immanence of the
sacred in space as well as time and breaks open limited, conventional,
linear perspectives of both space and time.... The visions portrayed in
this story demonstrate a foundation for the development of East Asian
Mahayana practices of transcendent faith and ritual enactment of
buddhahood, dependent not on lifetimes of arduous practice, but rather
on immediate, unmediated, and intuitional realization of the fundamental
ground of awakening."

Personally I could nit-pick over the rather broad (vague) nature of
pronouncements about "break[ing] open limited, conventional, linear
perspectives...". But I haven't ready anything more than what amazon
provides in their "preview" - so quite possibly he gets down to
specifics later on.

Curt