[Buddha-l] Voegelin and Nansen's cat

Dan Lusthaus vasubandhu at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 3 05:44:25 MST 2009

Eric,

>What really turned me off was hsi concept of absolute evil
> in politics and an expression as 'the spirituality of evil'. To me he
> belongs to the sort of people who see the image of the devil in the
> smoke of the burning Twin Towers and suspect 9/11 was the punishment of
> God or a conspiracy of the FBI.

Perhaps jogging your mind a bit more, or reading him afresh might help
modify your penchant to pigeonhole Voegelin in the wrong slots. If you keep
in mind that in German the word for spirit and mind is the same, then what
you are criticizing in him are precisely the things in which he is closest
to you. That, by the way, is exactly what Freud called projection.

> > Do you think Nansen's cat would agree that his situation is only in your
> > mind?
> >
> How about Schroedingers cat? And yep, life is all in and about your mind.

Nansen's cat suggests thirty blows from a headless cat body.

Seems everyone is happy. The vasanas have been defended from scrutiny, and
tucked away in their dark hiding places to come out and cause "unexpected"
mischief some other day. Well done!

Dan