[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Jan 4 09:16:32 MST 2009

I don't have any first hand experience (or even second hand knowledge)
about the uses of the Enneagram, but I have long been fascinated by
Gurdjieff and his teachings.

And, by a strange coincidence I have just recently started researching
the work of the 12th century scholar/mystic Raymond Lull. Supposedly
Ouspensky and Gurdjieff studied Lull's work intently when they first met
(1914). Ouspenksy, by the way, had just returned from India where he met
Sri Aurobindo and Annie Besant.

According to David Allen Hulse two keys to unlocking Gurdjieff's
Enneagram are (1) the nine pointed star at the center of Lull's system,
which represented Cabalistic correspondences, and (2) the Georgian
alphabet, which is isosephic (each letter is also a numeral). See "The
Eastern Mysteries" by David Allen Hulse p. 208-221:
http://books.google.com/books?id=sWHjIxkvXYEC&pg=PA215&lpg=PA215&dq=gurdjieff+raymond+lull&source=web&ots=H8I4jYA0vq&sig=RKTnfXcKujgzqv3WSl7IDR1BNSU&hl=en&sa=X&oi=book_result&resnum=6&ct=result#PPR15,M1

If the above link gets broken do a google book search on "The Eastern
Mysteries", the entire section on Gurdjieff and the Enneagram can be
read online.

Curt Steinmetz