[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Leigh Goldstein leigh at deneb.org
Sun Jan 4 13:50:41 MST 2009

According to my understanding, the popular theory of personality types based on the enneagram (type 1 through type 9) is not of Sufi or Gurdjieffian derivation but was originated by Oscar Ichazo who founded Arica, and given some professional credibility by Dr. Claudio Naranjo, a psychiatrist and spiritual teacher. Naranjo studied with Ichazo (briefly) as well as Fritz Perls, and has related the enneatypes to DSM IV in his books.

There are various origina myths / rumors about how Ichaza came up with the enneagram. Gurdjieffian use of the enneagram seems, to me, to be quite different; it is usually used to describe patterns in processes, such as cooking a meal or spiritual practice.

I did a workshop with Naranjo and then used his books for his recommended self-analysis for spiritual seekers. It did appear to give me a break-through insight into my own character and behavior and appropriate therapeutic/spiritual practices.

Naranjo also has studied Nyingma Buddhism himself, and eduSAT, or SAT, (his organization for teaching the enneatypes) includes teaching Buddhist meditation (Vipassana, Zazen and Tibetan according to their literature).