[Buddha-l] The American New England Transcendentalists' retreat--Follensby Pond

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Fri Jan 9 10:28:14 MST 2009

http://www.nature.org/wherewework/northamerica/states/newyork/pre
serves/art25874.html

"Today, thanks to the dedication and foresight of property owner
John S. McCormick Jr. and his late wife 'Bird,' the 14,600-acre
forest, including Follensby Pond, will remain protected for the
benefit of current and future generations."

In the US, nature was never far from mental cultivation concerns.
Many of us, I suspect, had our first experiences of truth beyond
the conventional while "communing with nature," as we used to
say--hiking and camping in forests and meadows, deserts and
mountains. Now, one more iconic American retreat has been
preserved from timber barons and themeparking.

Joanna