[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sat Jan 10 10:43:38 MST 2009

Richard Hayes wrote:
> I have no idea what New Age religion is supposed to be.

Just five minutes ago I picked up and started reading "Secular
Spirituality: Reincarnation and Spiritism in Nineteenth Century France"
by Lynn L. Sharp. Spiritism preceded Spiritualism which preceded
Theosophy. Along the way there were also Mesmerism, Swedenborgianism and
of course even before those there was Rosicrucianism, Freemasonry, etc.
Quietism, Quakerism, Shakerism and Pacifism also spring up from this
same fertile ground - and all these roots are intertwined.

"New Age religion" is simply what religion looks like when people are
allowed to think whatever they please. Much of it is unedifying in the
extreme, but the messiness of spiritual anarchism is much to be
preferred over the alternatives proposed by those who like their
spiritual trains to run on time.

For the moment I have decided to drop everything else and just read Lynn
Sharp's fascinating book, along with Gregory Evans Dowd's "A Spirited
Resistance: The North American Indian Struggle for Unity, 1745-1815".

"Secular Spirituality" by Lynn Sharp at googlebooks:
http://tinyurl.com/8g4gpb

"Spirited Resistance" by Gregory Evans Dowd at amazon:
http://tinyurl.com/74betf

"Birth, death, rebirth and progress without end, this is the law."
Allan Kardec (1804-1869)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Allan_Kardec

Curt