[Buddha-l] Enneagram and Buddhism

Erik Hoogcarspel jehms at xs4all.nl
Sat Jan 10 13:24:33 MST 2009

You're right, Tim, it may not be, but in this case I think it is. My
point is that the history of the enneagram is not like the history of
the periodical system of chemical elements, where the  data came first
and the model came later as a memory and communication tool. Here the
model leads the way and to me this is plain nummerology.

Timothy Smith schreef:
> You may be right, Erik, however this says nothing about the 'wisdom'
> you so easily disparage.  Should  you decide to investigate
> the current thinking on the enneagram rather than relying solely on
> your antipathy towards 'metaphysics', you'll likely not find
> a whole lot of esoterica involved.  Jung's system was 16 types,
> relying on a 4x4 matrix.  The enneagram need not be seen
> as an esoteric system based on the mystical significance of the number
> nine any more than Jung's ideas that led to the MBTI
> are esoteric in their reliance on the 'cross' separating the functions.
>

> "The way through the world is more difficult than the way beyond it"
>
> Wallace Stevens
> "Reply to Papini"
>

> On Jan 10, 2009, at 11:29 AM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:
>

>> Perhaps the writers you mention give some decent advice between the
>> lines, but an enneagram is a graph, a figure with nine points. It
>> relies
>> on a metaphysics of the number nine. Apart from this metaphysics
>> there's
>> no reason why there shouldn't be 143 different character types or
>> 31. If
>> you like Socrates or Stoa read them, it doesn't become any better
>> because of the number nine.

Erik

Info: www.xs4all.nl/~jehms
Weblog: http://www.volkskrantblog.nl/pub/blogs/blog.php?uid=2950