[Buddha-l] Enneagram-L

Richard Hayes rhayes at unm.edu
Mon Jan 12 10:05:16 MST 2009

On Mon, 2009-01-12 at 22:12 +0600, Christopher Fynn wrote:

> I've seen almost nothing on this list but this thread on the Enneagram
> for the past two or three weeks. What's so special? Buddhism has plenty
> of well developed personality typing & categorizing systems of its own
> based on things like the Abhidhamma, the Five Buddha Families and so on.

Nothing special. The enneagram is just another tool that people may find
helpful as a complement to the many others. I hesitated even to bring
the topic up, because I anticipated that it would stir up a lot of
unproductive negativity. I think enough has been said to enable those
who are interested in exploring personality typology further to do so.
I'm in favour of laying the topic down here. Again, I thank those who
have contacted me privately about it.

I'll probably write a blog posting pretty soon exploring a number of the
topics we have been discussing here: personality typology, the Socratic
daimon, dhyāna, the Quaker notion of the inward light and critical
thinking (by which I mean something entirely different from what I
suspect a lot of people mean by that term.) If I do write such a
posting, I'll advertise it on buddha-l for those who may be interested.

--
Richard Hayes
Department of Philosophy