[Buddha-l] Mirror neurons, anyone?

S.A. Feite sfeite at adelphia.net
Tue Jan 13 15:17:17 MST 2009

 From my notes while reading Dr. Siegel's book:

In his recent work _The Mindful Brain: Reflection and Attunement in
the Cultivation of Well-Being_, psychiatrist and attachment disorder
expert Dan Siegel talks a good bit about how mindfulness meditation is
a form of inner attunement, attuning attention to our own intention.
"An intention to pay attention to the intention to be mindful." This
resonant state is important in social interactions, as attunement is
also important to "get" how to attune to others. Some people don't
have the ability to attune to others. A piece of our neurobiology may
be the culprit: mirror neurons and resonance circuitry.

Mirror neurons and the mirror neuron system are neurons that not only
fire when you enact a certain intention, they also fire when you watch
or attune to someone enacting the same action! From the study of
mirror neurons it appears this part of the brain is what's responsible
for the natural ability to create representations of others minds.
"Mirror neurons demonstrate the profoundly social nature of our brains."

What happens when you cannot do this? *You cannot take the position of
the other*. You cannot experience empathy. There are probably a host
of psychiatric disorders that emerge from this genetic or
environmentally caused deficit.

A solution may be to learn to attune within through specific forms of
meditation which enhance our "resonance circuitry" and basically
exercise the atrophied parts of our nervous systems, like a muscle
undergoing weight-training.

It also raises an interesting question: what is it about certain
meditation techniques that they do not cultivate this ability to
repair attunement? Is it because of an institutional deficit, i.e.
environmentally cued or is it part of the meditation technique itself
(or both)? Are all meditation techniques created equal? Are some
meditation methods ultimately egocentric and others allocentric?

Steve Feite