[Buddha-l] Lukewarm American Buddhists

Perennial Favorites anemone at ghvalley.net
Sat Jan 17 08:13:06 MST 2009

> On Fri, 2009-01-16 at 15:25 -0700, Richard Hayes wrote:
>
>>  but I have started reading the full report put out by the
> Pew Charitable Trusts, and the more I see of it the more amazed I am at
> how incompetent the people designing the questions were. For example,
> how would you expect a Buddhist to choose between: "I believe my
> religion is the one true religion that leads to eternal life?" and "I
> believe many religions lead to eternal life."

It seems to me that all those questionnaires designed to pigeonhole you are
like that, including the Enneagram test.* They often give you choices
between two things you don't think or believe.  I was getting really
disgusted by that until I realized my real life can be like that, too.  I
can either do the dishes (don't want to) or let them pile up and fill the
kitchen with clutter and grime (don't like that either).  I never get the
third choice in life where I could check the box "have enough money to hire
someone else to do my dirty work."  Oh.  When I put it that way, I don't
like that choice either.

Diana Capen
* I'm a four.  Didn't sound like a very evolved number....