[Buddha-l] Religion and political affliliation

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Sun Jan 18 09:18:21 MST 2009

According to the ARIS study there were 766,000 Hindus in the US in 2001.
Here is a link to the 47 page pdf for the 2001 American Religious
Identification Study at CUNY:
http://tinyurl.com/ay8k3u

This is higher than the numbers for several important Christian sects,
including Seventh Day Adventists,  Eastern Orthodox, and Mennonites. It
is over three times the number for the sect that my maternal
grandparents belonged to: Christian Science. It is also over 100,000
more than the number of UU's. In 2001 there were 100,000 more Hindus
than there were members of the Assemblies of God (Sarah Palin's church)
in 1990.

Hinduism, by the way, is an exceedingly pluralist religion.

"Hinduism promotes not only tolerance and respect for differences in
belief and religion, but also acceptance of those paths as legitimate."
Statement on "Hindu Pluralism" American Hindu Foundation:
http://www.hinduamericanfoundation.org/hintro_pluralism.htm

"Hinduism is the largest pluralistic religions in the world. It teaches
that there are many paths, many sages, many holy books and that no
religion can claim any exclusie or final representation of truth."
Dr. David Frawley "A Hindu Call for Religious Pluralism":
http://www.dharmacentral.com/articles/plural.htm

"Hinduism has a great deal to offer to the West. Its inherent
pluralistic teachings offer the best resolution to the question of how
people of different religions can co-exist peacefully in a multi-faith
society."
London Vivekananda Cetre website:
http://www.vivekananda.btinternet.co.uk/

"The deeper reason for this social and religious pluralism in India
perhaps lies in the fact that the Divine, as described by Sri Aurobindo,
has infinite potentiality and thus manifests itself in infinite forms,
each of which, through the process of evolution, try to express their
essential Divine character."
"Sri Aurobindo's vision of spiritual universalism":
http://www.auroville.org/journals&media/avtoday/august_04/sri_vision.htm

Curt