[Buddha-l] Religion and political affliliation

Christopher Fynn cfynn at gmx.net
Sun Jan 18 11:05:40 MST 2009

Curt Steinmetz wrote:

> According to the ARIS study there were 766,000 Hindus in the US in 2001.
> Here is a link to the 47 page pdf for the 2001 American Religious
> Identification Study at CUNY:
> http://tinyurl.com/ay8k3u

> This is higher than the numbers for several important Christian sects,
> including Seventh Day Adventists,  Eastern Orthodox, and Mennonites.

Yes but there is a bewildering number of Hindu sects and sub-sects. For
a start you have different sects following Siva, Krishna, Ram, Kali,
Durga, Ganapati etc, etc, and then groups following a whole variety of
gurus who call themselves avatars.

On cable TV here we get a mostly Hindu "faith channel" - there was also
Jain guru on there the other day - much more entertaining and much more
variety than the Xtian channels I've seen in the States

- Chris

Thimphu, Bhutan