[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 47, Issue 38

gary.gach gary.gach at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 12:31:08 MST 2009

i've heard tell from a san francisco bay area buddhist who knew him that
conze was a communist, joanne. was a surprise to me too.  next time i see
that friend i'll inquire about what conze's reaction had been to mao and let
you know, but reading one of the other texts from the russian online
library, he severely condemns ussr so apparently he was openly vocal about
stalin.

franz, i've put in a request for siegel's book at the public library and
it's been about 2 months now, but the psychologist who told me about him
initially explained siegel in terms of attachment theory, so maybe siegel
does too.  i get the sense we're talking about the brain as a social organ,
rather than being confined to a single skull.

as for infant / maternal relations, a disciple of namkai norbu rinpoche told
me he thought was where we get our first notion of luminosity of being in an
other, but i confess i don't fully appreciate this yet (as you can tell from
my clumsy expression of it).  as i know nothing about attachment theory and
object relations theory, but want to become fully human (!), as you say, i
wonder if you might summarize for me and any other buddha-l'ers what's the
basic premise(s) and any key work(s) to bone up on (and practice?) in
attachment theory and object relation theory.

since i've learned about mirror neurons i've wondered if they are
contributory to experiencing personal enlightening moments from being around
spiritual evolved persons, or even just reading works by them.

gary
http://blogs.psychologytoday.com/blog/where-buddha-meets-freud