[Buddha-l] Aupaduka

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Sat Jan 24 10:37:37 MST 2009

Dear Dan (or anyone interested),

I need to consult you on a technical term.

Max Deeg, in his paper presented to the "Closer to Reality Conference,"
held in Kuala Lumpur in Dec 2008, translates aupapaaduka as "being just
before rebirth" (Tib brdzus te ske-k'ai sems-can) in connection with the
Wheel of Life, saying that Viniitadeva takes it to mean bar-ma-do'i
srid-pa'i sem-can (being between two existences). In other words,
aupapaaduka refers to the intermediate being.

(1) Could you please let me know if the Tibetan quote is correct (if
possible give me their spellings in the Tibetan script, too).

(2) What do you think of Pali "opapaatika" and "aupapaaduka" being
synonyms. As such, the Pali term opapaatika would both mean "spontaneously
born" (for non-returners" as well as "intermediate being".

Would deeply appreciate your feedback.

Thanks and best wishes,

Piya Tan

The Minding Centre (under the Dharma auspices of Poh Ming Tse)
Blk 644 Bukit Batok Central, #01-68 (2nd flr),
(near Bukit Batok MRT/Interchange) Singapore 650644.
HP: 8211 0879

Dharmafarer (Sutta) website: http://dharmafarer.googlepages.com