[Buddha-l] Pali and Asoka

L.S. Cousins selwyn at ntlworld.com
Sun Jan 25 02:51:21 MST 2009

Jayarava,

Your post raised a lot of issues and I didn't have time to respond
earlier. Here are one or two comments as regards Asoka and dialects.

1. In Pakistan and Afghanistan Asoka's inscriptions are found in various
languages and scripts, both of local origin and imported from elsewhere.
This is probably because these areas had been under the rule or cultural
influence of the Persian Empire. They are a different case from India
proper.

2. In the area we now call India, only one form of written language is
generally known. It is clearly under the influence of the spoken
language of Eastern India, presumably the area around Patna. Spelling is
not standardized and there is some variation in the degree of
'Easternization'. This is used even in southern areas where Dravidian of
some kind might have been the local spoken language. The one major
exception to this is at Girnar. (There are some minor fragments which
are similar to Girnar.)

3. So we have to account for the anomaly at Girnar. I know three
possible explanations:

a) It represents the influence of a local 'western' dialect. But then it
is difficult to account for its spread over the following centuries to
become something like the norm.

b) The local scribe was more learned and has Sanskritized the text a
little. The spread of this kind of spelling in the subsequent centuries
is then due to an early phase of Sanskritization. The Pali language will
then be partly a descendant of that and partly a result of an
independant process of Sanskritization. K.R. Norman in particular has
argued that we should see what we have at Girnar as the result of
Sanskritization.

c) The Girnar inscription might have been inscribed at a later date than
the other versions e.g. late in the reign of Asoka or even after. This
would be some kind of prestige act. As far as I know, the detailed
palaeographic studies that would test that have never been done.

As it stands, b) seems the best option.

4. The proper name of the Pali language is the Maagadha language. That's
the name that has been used for the last 1,500 years and probably quite
a lot longer. This is a straightforward descendant of the written
language of India mentioned above. The language spoken in Maagadha
proper is called Maagadhii by Indian grammarians in the first millennium
A.D. Originally, this would have been a spoken dialect, but there
probably were texts written in this by the time of the Prakrit grammarians.

Lance Cousins