[Buddha-l] modern buddhist teachers

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Thu Jul 2 08:54:48 MDT 2009

So far we've got HHDL, TNH and RAR (Robert Aitken Roshi).

I don't really think the criteria I proposed are all that difficult to
work with - especially given the examples from Hinduism that I included:
Vivekananda, Gandhi and Aurobindo.

HHDL probably comes the closest - in fact I believe he is the only one
even in the running. He is extremely popular among Asian Buddhists -
especially in Taiwan and Japan (as well as, naturally, among Central
Asian Buddhists). And yet where Aurobindo, Vivekananda and Gandhi were
all committed to the complete liberation and independence of India, HHDL
has adopted a far more accommodating approach with respect to the brutal
conquest of Tibet by the Chinese, which I think greatly undercuts his
potential appeal and influence (and importance), although it sells well
among aging hippies in the West.

Curt