[Buddha-l] modern buddhist teachers

S.A. Feite sfeite at adelphia.net
Thu Jul 2 15:35:49 MDT 2009

On Jul 2, 2009, at 2:55 PM, Erik Hoogcarspel wrote:

> Curt Steinmetz schreef:
>> So far we've got HHDL, TNH and RAR (Robert Aitken Roshi).
>>
>> I don't really think the criteria I proposed are all that difficult
>> work with - especially given the examples from Hinduism that I
>> included:
>> Vivekananda, Gandhi and Aurobindo.
>>
>> HHDL probably comes the closest - in fact I believe he is the only
>> one
>> even in the running. He is extremely popular among Asian Buddhists -
>> especially in Taiwan and Japan (as well as, naturally, among Central
>> Asian Buddhists). And yet where Aurobindo, Vivekananda and Gandhi
>> were
>> all committed to the complete liberation and independence of India,
>> HHDL
>> has adopted a far more accommodating approach with respect to the
>> brutal
>> conquest of Tibet by the Chinese, which I think greatly undercuts his
>> potential appeal and influence (and importance), although it sells
>> well
>> among aging hippies in the West.
>>
>> Curt
>>
> What about Sogyal Rche, Namkhai Norbu or Tartang Tulku?
> It has been long since I've been in touch with their fans. Perhaps
> Norbu is not a good candidate because he has become a lot more
> traditional than he used to be.

I would certainly include Namkhai Norbu not only because he was a
professor at a western university, *but also because he's revealing
terma cycles that are intended beings in the west.* If you agree with
the idea that 'there are no enlightened people, only enlightened
action(s)', you'd be hard-poised to find more skillful enlightened
action in a teacher.

Steve Feite