[Buddha-l] The Case for God

Katherine Masis twin_oceans at yahoo.com
Wed Jul 8 20:41:29 MDT 2009

Karen Armstrong is one of my favorite authors!  I've read most of her books and Armstrong says in no uncertain terms that what matters is how you behave, not what you believe.  She reports this idea came up in the course of a conversation with a rabbi several years ago.  One of her projects is The Charter for Compassion.  Watch the 3-minute video at:

http://charterforcompassion.com/

"The Charter does NOT assume:
- all religions are the same
- compassion is the only thing that matters in religion
- religious people have a monopoly on compassion
The Charter DOES affirm that:
- compassion is celebrated in all major religious, spiritual and ethical traditions
- the Golden Rule is our prime duty and cannot be limited to our own political, religious or ethnic group
- therefore, in our divided world, compassion can build common ground"

There are other Karen Armstrong videos.  Check out the one with her 21-minute acceptance speech for the TED prize:

http://www.ted.com/talks/karen_armstrong_makes_her_ted_prize_wish_the_charter_for_compassion.html

Youtube also has some more Armstrong videos.

Katherine Masis

Message: 1