[Buddha-l] buddha-l Digest, Vol 53, Issue 39 (schnipp schnupp)

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Sun Jul 26 13:03:02 MDT 2009

Hi Mitchell,

I have a question about this spelling. I thought that -n- with
tilde was (in roman) -ny-.
My sense of the term prapaNca is that this -N- is not the dental
-n- but the alveolar sound, N.

Doesn't seem right, in its phonemic context, to be -ny-.

Joanna K.
===========

Hello Richard (Schnipp Schnupp) and all, I noticed that you were
unable to read a word that Richard (Hayes, this time) had
proposed to you. It is perhaps the View/CharacterEncoding
settings getting in the way. I myself have a ? in the place of
one of the characters.
In any case, the term I read to be prapan~ca (that is prapaNca,
where N is replaced by n with a tilde over it, as found in
Spanish and Sanskrit but not Swedish nor Swahili). In Pali it is
spelled simpler, as often, papaNca (same modification of spelling
as above).

I hear rumors here that TNH is not losing sleep over the question
you are posing. But nothing more definite, even though I'm in the
same county as one of his centers in southern California.

Mitchell G.

Homepage (updated 20 July 09): http://www.jinavamsa.com

See also http://www.jinavamsa.com/mentalhealth.html

End of buddha-l Digest, Vol 53, Issue 40