[Buddha-l] Crisis in the rinpoche industry

Curt Steinmetz curt at cola.iges.org
Wed Jun 3 05:46:52 MDT 2009

Christopher Fynn wrote:
> I have heard disturbing first hand accounts from a couple of these tulku
> kids, and also from parents of such children, of being abused in
> monasteries. When this has happened, their confusion is not surprising.

Yeah, 'cause, like, that never happens to non-tulku kids.

This is just anti-Buddhist propaganda. Children, by definition, do not
choose the circumstances of their upbringing. And western culture
encourages us to blame all of our problems and suffering as adults on
our parents and how we were raised.

In Tibetan culture loving-kindness meditation is usually taught on the
assumption that everyone loves their mother, and then encourages the
meditator to cultivate that same love for all beings. Tibetans don't
seem to have any trouble with that - but many westerners do.

Curt