[Buddha-l] re. means of ego-inflation

Piya Tan dharmafarer at gmail.com
Wed Mar 4 08:54:20 MST 2009

Dear Robert,

I was thinking of the Madhupindika Sutta (M18) where the Buddha
declares that the world (we) tend to be caught up in a duality
(either...or) of something "is" (existence) and "is not"
(non-existence), an Aristotelian duality?

Then in another sutta (Vacchagotta SUtta?) he adds that to say there
is the ego would be to side with eternalism, and to say there is none
would be pointing to annihilationism. Very Madhyamika.

So you must be right: calling oneself a Buddhist is one extreme, not
calling oneself a Buddhist is the other. (I thought you are a
Dharmachari.)

Is that the sound of the Buddha's smiling?

With metta,

Piya Tan