[Buddha-l] Eternalism

Jayarava jayarava at yahoo.com
Fri Mar 20 05:32:49 MDT 2009

Apologies for having to drop out of the philosophy debate, my health is not good at the moment.

A colleague has asked me about the meaning of sassatadiṭṭhi (sassatadi.t.thi) which PED equates sassata to Vedic śaśvat ('sa'svat). The meaning "eternalism", with an emphasis on recurrance, seems clear enough, but I have been unable to identify the verbal root. There is śaś "leap" but can this be it? Can anyone help with this?

The Pali phrase occurs quite rarely and I am thinking about following it up, at least for my blog.

Thanks
Jayarava