[Buddha-l] FW: beauty--or art-- (?) and the restraintof thesenses

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue May 12 18:00:32 MDT 2009

Thanks, Erik, for citing those western philosophers whose names I
simply couldn't conjure, but I just knew they existed, and
recalled that they were into the sublime of beauty, properly
cultivated of course (nothing vulgar and quotidian going on
there).   I did know Kant was one of them, but not having "really
read" Kant through, only second-hand, I hesitated to cite him.

Since Jayarava's reply, I consulted my colleague in S. Asian art
history (way ahead of me on the details) and she says rasika
carries both the limited meaning of someone with good taste or
discrimination, and the expanded meaning of someone able to
experience sublimity by entering the raga or the rasa dominating
the particular dance-drama.

"Hatred for pleasant feelings is as much a problem as the desire
for them."
Rather than "hatred," I'd prefer to say "aversion"-- but right!
Must we pretend that the middle way doesn't exist? As Freud and a
few other psychoanalytic geniuses emphasised, disregard (ignore,
suppress ignorantly) the body (to my way of thinking it's
body-mind) at your peril. We cannot convert "body" entirely to
"mind." Something precious gets lost.

Thanks for Gendun Rimpoche's poem--wonder where I was when it
appeared on the list. Also for the poems website.

We are embedded in Nature (capitalised as both idea and
reality)--- Onward Buddhist soldiers!!(soldiering on)
-----whether we admit it or not, what is left of Nature,
anyway~~~~~~~~~~.

Joanna