[Buddha-l] FW: beauty--or art-- (?) and the restraintofthesenses

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Wed May 13 10:20:05 MDT 2009

Greetings BuddhaScholars.  Lurker Gad Horowitz here, hoping to
redirect this
thread:  Years ago I read an essay called "The Dharma Gate of
Beauty"--I believe inThe Eastern Buddhist.  If I remember
correctly it BLEW the very concept of "beauty", maybe taking off
from Dogen's wierd discussion of "flowers and weeds".  Anyone
remember?
In my discussions (I should have changed the subject header) I
made it clear that I wasn't on about "beauty" per se, calling it
an unreasonably essentialist notion. No surprise if the essay you
recall deconstructed the beauty idea.

Joanna