[Buddha-l] Aung San Suu Kyi and the latest Burmese prosecutions

jkirk jkirk at spro.net
Tue May 19 11:00:26 MDT 2009

R.H.:
For me to call a process democratic I would expect motions to
come from the demos and to be decided by a vote from the demos.

This isn't the way the Quakers (Friends) do it---------it's
consensus, or it's dropped--so one of your stated affiliations
can't claim to be democratic; and maybe they don't.

So why belabor the point whether the old Buddhist sangha voted or
not?
What's the point, anyway?

In my old college department, one of the faculty was a Quaker
(Friend)...he was able to keep us going round and round a
decision endlessly, insisting on consensus, until the meeting had
to end. In later meetings it was the same old thing, until
someone finally got him to abstain so we could vote and move on.
However, as we all well know, the formal "democratic process" is
subvertible in many sneaky ways.

Joanna K.